Hello and welcome back to the NotACast, the one true chapter-by-chapter podcast going through A Song of Ice and Fire one chapter a week!
Today, Emmett and Jeff are pleased to present you with "Forgetting to be Afraid:": our analysis of a very controversial chapter in ASOIAF: AGOT, Daenerys II! And we're joined by none other than Eliana, AKA glass_table_girl on reddit, AKA Sailor Moonblood on twitter (https://twitter.com/arhythmetric) to join in a tough but great talk on this chapter.
This week, we:
- Answer two more questions
- Eliana's spectacular in-depth talk about Daenerys: her fears and her assimilation into Dothraki culture
- Emmett does his thing talking about intimacy and how the chapter crafts intimacy between Daenerys and the Dothraki and Daenerys and Khal Drogo.
- Orientalism and the pitfalls of the Dothraki in ASOIAF vs how the Wildlings are depicted
- How Illyrio's gift of the dragon eggs weren't in the original version of AGOT
- The history books that Jorah gives Daenerys and their importance come TWOW per GRRM
- House of the Undying/dragonriding foreshadowing/callbacks
- Finally, we got into significant depth on marriage customs in Westeros/Essos and whether GRRM was basing Dany's marriage (at 13) on real-world medieval history or not
Next Week: Bros Ned and Robert go ridin'
Eliana's twitter: https://twitter.com/arhythmetric
Eliana's reddit account: https://www.reddit.com/user/glass_table_girl
Eliana's website: https://themanyfacedblog.wordpress.com/
Our patreon: https://www.patreon.com/NotACastASOIAF
Our twitter: https://twitter.com/NotACastASOIAF
Emmett's tumblr: http://poorquentyn.tumblr.com/
Emmett's twitter: https://twitter.com/PoorQuentyn
Jeff's twitter: https://twitter.com/BryndenBFish