October 21, 2019
Hello and welcome back to the NotACast, the one true chapter-by-chapter podcast going through A Song of Ice and Fire one chapter a week!
In this episode, everything goes exactly according to plan for our new protagonist, Theon “The Ladies Love Me” Greyjoy.
This week, we:
- Talk about our favorite to least favorite Greyjoys
- Emmett analyzes how Theon came into being as a POV character and why his character beats far outshine his actual plot beats.
- Analyze Theon in how he constructs his identity around Ironborn lore he doesn't have a personal connection to and how awful this manifests itself in his treatment of the captain's daughter.
- Muse on the worldbuilding George puts into the Ironborn culture, and how these sparse, bleak lands speak volumes on GRRM's opinion of them and their culture.
- Pour one out for Balon Greyjoy who has a sad, and that sad is going to result in a disastrous war which will give the Ironborn nothing
- Is the Captain's Daughter pregnant by Theon? We discuss!
Next week, ACOK Daenerys I where we finally check in with the Mother of Dragons and her tiny band of followers wandering the desert. No religious imagery there whatsoever. And we will be joined in the Red Waste by a new guest: Mighty Isobel!
Our patreon: www.patreon.com/NotACastASOIAF
Our twitter: twitter.com/NotACastASOIAF
Our facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/289889118235797/
Our youtube page: www.youtube.com/channel/UCmmDfPdG…iew_as=subscriber
Emmett's twitter: twitter.com/PoorQuentyn
Jeff's twitter: twitter.com/BryndenBFish