Hello and welcome back to the NotACast, the one true chapter-by-chapter podcast going through A Song of Ice and Fire one chapter a week!
In this episode, the pig-faced shit-knight Amory Lorch wipes out Yoren of the Night’s Watch and most of his charges. It’s not all bad news, though; at least Arya saves Rorge and Biter!
This week, we:
- Go through some of our favorite and "favorite" Apple Podcast Reviews
- Talk about the unsettling feeling of dread settling over the scene well before Amory Lorch shows up
- Talk about the Tolkienesque aspects of this chapter and how George reinterprets Tolkien's critiques of the crimes against nature.
- Discourse on Yoren as an idealist and how his ideals aren't so far removed from the current time of the story
- Battlechapter! Battlechapter! Slaughter ... chapter?
- Address why Amory Lorch as a war criminal takes backseat to Gregor and Vargo Hoat
Next week: Tyrion III, in which the Lannisters react to His Grace King Stannis Baratheon’s letter declaring them traitors (fuck yeah, righteous) and Tyrion begins work on a project for his metalworking class that probably won’t turn out to be important at all.